When your home looks nice on the outside, it doesn’t just add curb appeal. It also makes your home more warm and welcoming for your guests, and it can also make your neighbors just a bit envious. Here are a few ideas for landscape design for your St Paul home from the experts here at Advanced Irrigation.
- When you are laying out where walkways will go, follow your family’s natural path in and out of your home. Your landscape design needs to fit in with the everyday needs of your family and guests, so if there is a walkway installed where people already walk, you will not have to worry about your family walking through your rose bushes or your prized patch of chrysanthemums.
- If the walkway does not have to curve or if it does not need steps, do not use them. You can save some money on landscape design, materials and labor if your walkways adhere to as straight of a path as possible.
- However, if your walkway needs to slope more than 10%, that is a good time to consider a curve or some steps. A slope of 10% or more is probably too steep to walk on. You can put plants and other elements of landscaping by the curve or the steps to make them more interesting to look at.
- Decorative concrete and decorative retaining walls are incredibly popular landscape design ideas these days. They are a great way to combine functionality with something that is eye-catching and aesthetically pleasing.
- If you have any fences or shrubs that border your walkway, make sure they are no higher than two feet. This helps alleviate any feelings of crowding as people are walking on the walkway, and it also makes it easier to carry packages, groceries and other items in and out of your home.
- Try to include plants in your landscape design that will offer year-round enjoyment, and try to place them in view of your new walkway. You should try to have a plant or two within your new landscaping or garden that grows and blooms during every season. That way, even in the dead of winter, you and your guests still have something pretty to look at.
These are just a few landscape design ideas for your home’s walkway! For even more, give us a call.
If you would like more information on landscape design in St Paul, call Advanced Irrigation at 612-599-8675, or you can contact us for a Free Estimate.