Yippie skippie! It’s time for vacation! During the summer, we hope you’re taking some time to get out of town and relax. You have a lot of things to remember when you’re on your way out the door. Make sure you packed sunscreen, snacks and an extra pair of socks. But, did you think about your sprinkler system? Though it may not seem like a fun task, it’s really not hard to prepare your lawn for your absence. For those living in the metro areas of Minneapolis, sprinkler systems can keep your lawn healthy, even if you’re on vacation.
One Week or Less
If you’re only escaping for a week, your lawn won’t even know you’re gone. If you have a lawn sprinkler system on a timer, just let it run normally. If you’re going to turn it off while you’re away, deeply water your lawn the day before you leave. Mow your grass on your normal setting that same day and all should be well.
Two or More Weeks
If you’re getting out of town for two weeks or more, first of all, celebrate. Next, there are a couple of steps you’re going to want to follow to prepare your lawn.
- Mow before you leave. Set your mower to one notch lower than normal and have at it.
- Water your lawn. Deeply water your lawn before you get out of town.
- Consider having someone mow the lawn in your absence, or it could get pretty long.
- If you have a sprinkler system, it is recommended that you continue to have it run on a timer for the duration of your trip.
- When you get back, raise your mower two notches before mowing.
Enjoy yourself and have fun on vacation. Your lawn sprinkler system should be the last of your worries. It will do its job, and you’ll come home to Minneapolis and to a beautifully green lawn.